5 Beauty Mistakes That Damage Your Skin
by Dr. Ramtin Kassir, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Nov. 18, 2016, 5:02 p.m.
When it comes to maintaining healthy skin, most of us have a pattern that we follow. Some of us use sunscreen, while others make sure that they have specific anti-aging creams. Unfortunately, our own habits may detrimental to our skin.
Here are the beauty mistakes you should avoid!
- Not Wearing Sunscreen – It is recommended to apply a sunscreen with a broad-spectrum SPF, every day, even when it’s cloudy outside. Sunscreen helps prevent cancer and premature aging and sun damage.
- Touching Your Face– Many of us touch our faces without even realizing it. Touching your face and picking at acne can transfer bacteria from your fingers directly to your skin and open pores. This increases the risk of infections and worsens acne and scarring. Same goes for popping pimples. It causes inflammation which causes acne longer to heal.
- Cleansing with Soap – Soap should be used for your body, not your face. Soap strips away your skin’s natural oils which cannot be replaced.
- Over-Exfoliating – Exfoliating your skin and using retinols, peels, and cleansing grains to do so is great, but should not be overdone. When overdone and combined, they strip away the skin’s natural oils and glow. Once a week is sufficient.
- Switching Products Too Quickly – Most of us are eager to try beauty products and we keep trying them in order to find the one that works. Combining products and switching quickly can irritate your skin and case break outs.