8 Factors that contribute to cellulite
by Dr. Ramtin Kassir, M.D., F.A.C.S. | Dec. 19, 2016, 11:17 a.m.
If you have cellulite, you are not alone. Most women have cellulite, and when patients come in fir buy contouring, most of them want to first resolve cellulite. Cellulite is something most of us have and want to get rid of, or at least reduce the appearance.
Although cellulite is genetic, your lifestyle has a major impact on cellulite.
Cellulite is typically found on hips, thighs, buttocks and arms and is caused by the fat deposits under the skin pushing up towards the surface of the skin.
Contrary to popular belief, cellulite does not only occur in women who are overweight, or obese, but also in women who are considered ‘thin’.
Read below to learn about the factors that contribute to cellulite:
* Metabolism If you have a slow metabolism the chances are that your cellulite is worse.
* Lack of physical active If you are not exercising regularly, your cellulite might get worse
* Dehydration If you are not drinking enough water, your skin will become dehydrated. Dehydration might make cellulite worse.
* Fad diets Fad diets might not provide you with the nutrients your body need to keep your body and skin healthy. In addition, some fad diets can also leave you dehydrated.
* Diet high in sodium and saturated fat A poor diet might not provide you with the nutrients your body needs, or provide you with too much of some, like sodium and unhealthy fats.
* High body fat percentage Although cellulite also occurs in women who are considered ‘thin’, a reduction in total body fat often have a positive effect on the appearance of cellulite.
* Gender It is true that not only women have cellulite. It is, however, less common in men as they have thicker skin.
* Aging We are all getting older, and that is a simple fact. With age, our hormones change and also the amount of collagen we produce. This might result in a worsening of the appearance of cellulite.
Stay tuned for our next blog which will give you a breakdown of how to avoid and decrease the appearance of cellulite.